Volunteer Coordinator and questions on Tournament shifts
The Hopkins Youth Hockey Association is an organization run by its volunteers and depends on the assistance of its members to function as a successful organization. It is critical that we all share in the commitment to produce a quality program. Volunteers are absolutely essential to maintaining and growing the Hopkins Youth Hockey Association. The more volunteers we have, the better our association becomes.
• Every family is required to complete volunteer hours.
• Mite/U8 players are required to complete one volunteer shift credit. Shifts may be worth one credit or .5 credits. You may work a one credit shift or 2 shifts worth .5 credits each
• Traveling players, Squirt/U10 and above, are required to complete 3 shifts credits (1 concession shift credit and 2 Thanksgiving Tournament shift credits at the gender appropriate tournament). Shifts may be worth less than one credit. 2 shifts with a .5 credit would equal one shift credit.
• HYHA Board members must complete Headquarter Shifts at the Thanksgiving Tournament regardless of the level of their skater
• Please note that this is a per player requirement and there is no limit to volunteer shifts per family. (Volunteer shifts are generally 4-5 hours in duration.)
• NEW for the 2013-14 Season: Because the Thanksgiving Tournament is an important fundraising event for our association and relies on many dedicated volunteers in order to be successful, the HYHA Board has decided on the following change: Travelling players may elect to complete all 3 shift credits during the Thanksgiving Tournaments.
o Example #1: A family with a U12 and Mite player would be required to complete 4 shifts total, with at least 2 of them completed during the Girls Thanksgiving tournament.
o Example #2: A family with a U8, Squirt and Bantam would need to complete 7 shifts with at least 4 of them completed during the Boys Thanksgiving Tournament.
o Example#3: A family with a U10 and Bantam player would need to complete 6 shifts, with at least 2 during the Girls Thanksgiving Tournament and 2 during the Boys Thanksgiving tournament
• Working the clock, penalty box, music, or announcing at home games for your travel teams are considered part of your duties in having a player in the travel program. These hours WILL NOT count toward total volunteer hours worked.
• There are no exemptions to the volunteer requirements. And there is no maximum number of shifts that a family can contribute in a given year. No roll-over of volunteer hours will be allowed from year to year.
• Volunteer shifts for District tournaments hosted by HYHA at the end of the year, will be filled by the team playing in the Home tournament. These shifts do not count towards your Volunteer requirements.
• A Volunteer Deposit in the amount of $150.00 will be collected from every player prior to the start of the season and a $200.00 Tournament Deposit will be collected from every travelling player. Your registration is not complete until your volunteer and tournament deposits are received by HYHA.
• In the event that a family does not complete their hours, their deposit check will be cashed. No refund or credit will be given for hours worked.
• Checks will not be returned upon completion of volunteer hours, but will be shredded to save mailing costs
Please note: In order to sign up for volunteer shifts, you must login to the HYHA website using the same account that you used to register your skater(s) for the current season. Requirements are based on the registration information you provided.
Using the DIBS Volunteer System:
It is easy to get started in the DIBS volunteer system.
Please use these following steps.
1. Log into the HYHA website. Click on the DIBS tab on the top navagation bar.
2. Click on the type of DIBS Session you are interested in reviewing for shifts. Review the details and then click the claim button that will appear at the bottom of the page to sign up or claim the session.
3. Optional: You can adjust the parameters at the top of the page for the dates, length of shifts and location of your choosing.
4. An email reminder will be sent to the email address listed on the account profile 1 day prior to the day of your shift.
5. If you need to cancel your DIBS session you must do this through DIBS.
If you do not see any volunteer opportunities listed, either there are no volunteer shifts currently open or you have logged in using the wrong account.
Can I cancel a shift if something comes up?
Cancellations will only be honored if requested more than 14 days prior to the shift. If there is a hardship, please contact the volunteer coordinator. If you are unable to cancel a shift you can always try to hire someone to work it for you. A list of individuals available to hire can be found below. It is absolutely unacceptable to show up for a shift, sign in and then leave before the end of the shift.
When will my shift be credited?
The sign-in sheets from the concession stand and boosters will be picked up on a weekly basis. The hours will be credited in DIBS from those lists. Be sure to sign in and complete the required information on those lists. If you do not receive credit within 14 days of working your shift, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator for Tournament shifts or the Concessions Coordinator for concession shifts
Can I hire someone to work my shifts for me?
We encourage our membership to personally work their required volunteer in the spirit of community and team work. But if for some reason you need help in completing your volunteer time, please see below for a list of people willing to work concession shifts for $10 an hour. You are responsible for contacting them, paying them and then communicating who will be working in your place. You are also responsible for that person completing your shift or the no-show policy will take affect.
Why didn't I get an email reminding me of my Volunteer shift?
You may need to update your contact information on your website account. This is different than supplying HYHA with contact information during the registration process. In order to change your email contact, login using the same username/account that was used to register your skater for the current season. Click on your username at the very top of the web page and choose account settings from the drop down menu. From there click on the tab "add email address" and follow the directions provided.
The documents below are instructions for the various positions assigned to Volunteers for the Thanksgiving Tournament. Please download the instruction set for the postion you will be fulfilling and bring the instructions with you to the arena. Thanks for volunteering your time!
|Alex Holden 612-636-3418, or 612-310-4949
|To hire a sub from this list please contact them directly. You need to arrange payment directly and you remain responsbile for the shift.|